Still in the middle of the summer sun we had this great 6 wheeler to shoot. The location of this shoot was on the land of the owners friend…. and a great location it was. Big enough and varied where we could get all shots done without leaving the private land…. happy days 🙂
Beside a giant shed / warehouse with a car lift the owner liked all things automotive and had another shed with some nice details….. below.
The final DPS below of the image above. Just lifted a little of the levels but the removal of the pylon which was needed 🙂
Was pleased with the location and had just enough space to get the rather large 6 wheeler in front of the ‘garage’ and just wide enough to make a DPS.
Only one real angle to shoot from due to other buildings and a kids trampoline (which I did look at moving, but it was secured to the floor). So shoot above and below. The images above and below aren’t to bad but as we couldn’t see the lifting arm it doesn’t really warrant or have the same impact as the rear shot.
Just one light below used to lift the owner and Mikes faces and the engine bay…
The first shots we did was to get it on the ramp so we can see the main the engineering mods underneath.
If theres one thing I wish I was is that I knew more mechanically … but I’m not. So when it comes to shooting technical stuff like this I need to know what I’m shooting so I need a quick explanation there and then and a complete pointing out of what I need to show in the image. As far as I can remember on the image above is that the shaft in the centre has been off-centred on purpose….. other than that I can’t remember but just needed to show that. 😉
Getting a couple of lights under there to light people and vehicle is a lot of moving and testing to get a decent even lighting.
Once outside the sheds I mentioned a vertical shot would be good … just in passing without really thinking about it….. probably was thinking out aloud!
No sooner I said that a large extendable digger truck came round with a large bucket…. harness on and up I went. Think the only boring angle on this vehicle is directly from the top 🙂 ….. still worth getting variety when you can.
Getting the tow Landrover to tow something and shoot the complete story was the aim. What else would be good to tow other than a series 1 Land Rover which the land owner had ….. again happy days 🙂
The images below are of the process of hooking up a vehicle to tow.
I almost just sit back and watch the process before re-doing the process with shooting the key bits to show the story. Just one speed light to help lift the shadows and balance the levels out.
The image above and below has a speed light just stood on the near side corner of the Series 1 wing again just to light the harsh shadow of the owners face.
Shooting a few driving images was a little bumpy due to the rough tracks and so had to shoot a far few frames to a get a couple of acceptable images.
A few cornering, panning shots to finish off a decent day.
Like the shot above… just the angle, the fact the speed light stayed propped up and didn’t fall. Also there was just one big bush on that stretch we could capture when driving past to give a bit of motion.
Really enjoyed this day. There was about 4 friends there who were all lovers of automotive and were more than happy to get involved and help out. As well as plenty of coffee and home made bakes to keep us going through the day….
The only downside of the day was that I forgot some insect repellant as bugs just munch on me! With some well grown Horse-flies that a I couldn’t avoid I still have the scars from the bites months down the line. Still beats working …. 🙂