A Disco 2 modified for purpose…

posted in Editorial

A Disco 2 modified for purpose…

Well a return visit to a private disused quarry used now for fun with 4x4s. First shot here for Bentley Motors back a few years back.

This shoot was not to my mind a potential cover shoot so to see it on the shelf (below) was a canny surprise 🙂

The story was to show what was changed on the Disco and also seeing it in action on some rough ground. Started to get the car into position for the opening shot of the article whilst it was nice and clean.

 

As well as the natural light images above I wanted to light the vehicle to add some texture to the image. before that we shot some images as it was going over this mound to get some movement at least into the wheels…

Shooting fairly wide in order to get a DPS out of the frame.

Started with a couple of lights either side of the camera… with the light to the right slightly lower than the camera in order to see whats going on underneath.

I did shoot a few verticals …. this one ended up being the cover…

The final image above with the cover overlaid so you can see what section of the frame was used.

After getting the front shot then we repeated the same process and as the Disco went over the mount we shot the rear…

On the rear I needed to get a bit more light under the Disco so had to get a speed light on the floor under the back end (green arrow) … Then dig a little recess with me boot to get the speed light laid down, then make sure the camera angle was lower than the flash and any flare.

The Blue and red arrows are showing the rough angle of the two Phottix Indra Heads…

After the initial shots for the opening DPS we moved into the middle of the quarry which is very open and flat. Also the water wasn’t as full as I remember the last time due to the very long hot summer this year.

Got the simple engine and interior images plus a few more… The engine bay was very very clean.

The lighting on the day was really good as the cloud cover was light and even so the sunlight was bright and consistent. The light grey colour reacted well to the light and so I didn’t use any artificial lights to help the scene.

Mike (news editor for LRO) had another idea for an alt DPS to show the story a bit more.

Moving the Disco to a place that you couldn’t get to any other way was on a decent incline. The issue was to try and shoot it in a way that showed that but there wasn’t anything within the frame that you could orientate and get scale or angle from. Again a couple of Indra heads either side of the left and right frame then a speed light in the boot of the Disco. The couple of cases near the tripod were some of my kit so we could fill the frame a little more as it looked a bit empty…

Once the staged shots were done we then moved to the lower part of the quarry again and sent the Disco around to get some water, mud to at least show that it could get to remote places.

No particular order the final layout and article.

A final image of a driving shot…. well a took a few frames whilst back at the top of the quarry as we were packing down again to have a working feel of how the Disco is a working vehicle.

Great working vehicle and very clean, that is until we had it round the quarry. 🙂