Difting in a 90…

posted in Magazine Shoot

Difting in a 90…

A still winters bright morning I headed back on the way to the homeland to the North East and to Teeside Autodrome to shoot an extreme ninety for Landrover Owner International.

While an open drifting session was taking place on the track we had permission to camp in an inner section of the track which wasn’t in use. Most of the shoot was done on these three corners. The sky was blue, the sun was low and seemingly more bright and intense than our fair shores see.

I shot a few images on a corner and still wasn’t happy so we moved the 90 to this small puddle which was only about 1cm deep. Knowing that this was a possible DPS we kept going .

No lights added to this shot but only polarised and the moon wasn’t added after! The image below taken on the trusty mobile shows the great vastness of the puddle 😉 …… With the D810 having a grip I could only get the lens about 2 inch off the floor… so took the grip off, covered the contacts on the base of the camera body and sat the camera directly on the floor. A simple wireless trigger as my shadow was in the frame.

Wide as possible made the puddle into ….. well a bigger puddle 😉

The interior was just as bonkers as the exterior… all custom made. Had to use a studio head to kill as much shadow caused by the harsh sun.

All about the details, showing off the creative and handy work of the owner.

fought against the sun on the image above as I didn’t;’t want the sky to be lost so a bit of fill flash and then pulling it a little more post to get some detail in there.

The article was just as much about the owner as well as the car. As well as taking the normal tight head & Shoulders shot this as an alternate portrait. With a shot below of the couple of lights used to light the side of the 90 in shadow.

The light at the back mainly to light the owner and add a key light to him and light the back wheel and arch. The light to the far right was a general one to fill his face a little more and to light the front off-side and to soften the shadows caused by the back light.

I kept the light sup for the images below where I took these images with quick succession to get a few variants for the art editor.

Using the same lights for the show below used in the final article to show the hight of the car which is hard to not appreciate unless you see it in ‘the flesh’.

Moving swiftly on we used the remaining corner in our little oasis amongst the burner rubber and noise around us to get a few more rear statics and a few panning shots…

We had the chance of a couple of laps straight after the lunch break before the drifters came out again to grab some tracking shots.

A fairly tight track with plenty of long corners funnily enough which were good for drifting! …. hard to get your bearings with only a couple of short laps in order to get some tracking done. Again leaning towards another DPS chance and framing for that but still with enough detail to crop in for a tighter frame or possibly a vertical.

After that we returned to the centre of the track to grab one or two rig shots. The set up shot below shows the mounting point and using the red/white corners to add into the frame to keep the story throughout the shoot.

Original RAW frame above and the finished edit below. The only landscape frame I did and again a DPS option. In one run or push I use a lot of the other frames to grab the sky and use to remove and mask the rig from the final edit.

Below one of the two vertices we shot.

I took a short video of the rig and getting the 90 into position which I hope you can see by this link. Green Drifter 90

The final layout of the article below.