As ever a great to have a subject thats near to home …. this one is closer than the first cover shoot we did for Street Machine. This time was the 1967 Silhouette Camaro with the same paint work from the 60s, found by the current owner down in Wimbledon and brought to Yorkshire where it resides.
With these shoots its predominately a rig shot that could be the only motion shot you get. Thankfully the owner found a great outbuilding near a local farm whose owners were typical Yorkshire folk and said carry on 🙂 …… happy days. The drizzle kept coming and going but we were covered which meant we could carry on with the planned shoot.
The image above was an opener and was used as the opening DPS as apposed to a rig shot / motion shot.
Below you can see were I had 4 lights positioned to light the scene.
Lights 1-3 are battery studio lights (Phoenix – Indras) and 4 is a Nikon Speedlight. All using Phottix odin as a controller and receiver. The light on the front of the Dodge van is sunlight which was the benchmark for the rest of the lights to balance to. No2 light is hidden behind the upright post.
Keeping an eye on the spill light on the floor I think I may have used a few barn doors to eliminate the light on the floor so it wasn’t right to the edge of the frame.
Keeping the lights (No 1 & 3) in the same place we shot a few still (above) off the Camaro on its own. Simple engine shot using the same lights.
The image below I found on the internet of the same car from the 70s when it had a blower on the engine. The current owner has the same bonnet for when such an engine is fitted.
The paint is the original and yes you can see some age to it but its in fantastic condition and still gives back some shimmer when lit.
Still with some original show stickers all add to the provenance of the car and a testament to the current owners desire to keep it original.
A great location and good to get the surrounding features in on the act. The above two using a couple of lights each to light accordingly 🙂
Keeping the car in the same position as a couple of shots above, just moving around to get another angle… just one light being used to light the nearside of the car against the bright sunlight which kept coming in and out.
Some detail shots that never made the final cut but all shot whilst in that same position. The reason being its easy to keep moving and shoot as much in one position and move the car as minimal as possible, some shoots you can’t help but move things but when you can keep things simple.
Only a couple of rig shots we took. One vertical and one pano. We had one area where we could have the car turn in an arc and so repeated the process and few times so we had donor sections from one frame to help clone out the rig.
Below is a video of us just test the arc so we didn’t end up jousting the upright post with the camera!
This final front cover image was made up of about 3 rig shots. The side and a bit of the background was from one shot and the rest from another.
The editor definitely wanted the Dodge van in the shoot as this is what gets the Camaro around on long trips. Always try and find places to get your lights in and simply use a wall, door or shoot from behind something to hide said lights. A couple used here to light the exterior and another speed light in the cabin to lift the interior.
A couple of speed lights to help light the vans interior…
The final article above…
A good shoot and pleased with another cover.